Savannah Parks & Squares
The 22 squares and parks are some of Savannah’s most beloved assets. Lafayette Square is directly across from Hamilton-Turner Inn. Enjoy a picnic in the square and take in the beauty that is Savannah.
Lafayette Square was laid out in 1837 and is named for Gilbert du Motier, marquis de La Fayette, the French hero of the American Revolution, who visited Savannah in 1825. The square contains a fountain commemorating the 250th anniversary of the founding of the Georgia colony, donated by the Colonial Dames of Georgia in 1984, as well as cobblestone sidewalks. Lafayette Square is located on Abercorn, between Harris and Charlton Streets. Adjacent to the square is the Roman Catholic Cathedral of St. John the Baptist. Given this proximity Lafayette Square features prominently in Savannah's massive St. Patrick's Day celebrations. Water in the fountain is dyed green for the occasion.
Originally known as St. James Square, the square was renamed in 1883 to honour the Telfair family. Telfair Square is located on Bernard, between State Street and York Street.
Built in 1790, Washington Square was named for the first President of the United States, who visited Savannah in that year Washington Square had been the site of the Trustees' Garden. Named for the trustees of Oglethorpe's colony the garden was the proving ground for a variety of experimental crops—including mulberry (for silkworms), hemp, and indigo. Washington Square is on Houston, between Bryan and Congress Streets. Washington Square was one of only two squares named to honor a then-living person; Troup Square was the other.
Walking paths, tennis and basketball courts, a children’s play area and café are part of 30 acres in the historic district bordered by Gaston Street on the North, Drayton Street on the East, Park Avenue on the South and Whitaker Street on the West. Concerts are sometimes held here as well.